Saturday, April 16, 2011

They didn't exactly blind me with science, but maybe gave me astigmatism

I can tell that I'm getting older for a number of reasons - general maturity levels, my regular sleep schedule, the fact that I don't think conquering the challenge of drinking a bottle of Bacardi 151 over the course of an evening is peak moment of person ambition - but nothing brings it home like a trip to the Pacific Science Museum. Don't get me wrong, I still love this place and I still am deliciously easily amused by all their bleeping and flashing lights. However, my initial reaction to pretty much all of the interactive displays was to recoil from even the thought of touching those handles and buttons and other things that a million disease infested little rugrats had wiped their snotty little hands all over. I also seem to be looking at the displays as kind of a consult on interior design. For instance,  I think this will look quite nice in my future foyer:


It even forecasts the weather all over the globe! I also think this fell would make a spectacular lawn ornament: 


Anyways, it was a fun little trip with my friend Ross, who is far more of a Star Wars geek that I could ever have imagined. The travelling exhibit was - of course - Star Wars: Where Imagination Meets Science. I think the gist was that they got a bunch of the costumes and models that were used to film various scenes of all six movies and then added a veneer of science by throwing some of their random exhibits overage in between models. So one minute, you'd be looking at a painstakingly crafted model of the Millenium Falcon, and the next you'd be staring at a glassed off display of the coats that arctic researchers wear. I am sure it was all very educational. We mostly skipped those. Also, if the costumes are anything to go by, Natalie Portman and Carrie Fischer are both very tiny women. I was a Star Wars for approximately one year - kind of in between the time when I first watched the Trilogy and all the re-releases and definitely over by the time of that first movie with the horrible... everything. But during that time I'm pleased to have made three very poor Princess Leia costumes to wear to each opening, have gotten the first tickets for each showing of the first openings for the re-releases, and to have almost been ousted from a theater for participating in a lightsaber duel during the previews. Oh yes, I was a totally awesome fifteen year old.

Anyways, it was kind of like visiting the home of a fairly wealthy but completely socially awkward fanboy, with all the models and random science stuff thrown in. Well... except with a lot more screaming and running children. They are smart to set up the exit through the gift shop. All kinds of opportunities to hawk plastic lightsabers and these terrifying replicas of Star Wars characters with bratz-like proportions (what is it with huge heads and toys??)

After we had exhausted science, Ross dragged me to an arcade in search of some vintage video games, which definitely triggered what I frequently describe as introverting out. I use this phrase to describe my reaction to becoming overstimulated by the outside world and needing to recharge. It's kind of like when a computer's or a phone's battery gets low enough that the battery icon changes from green to yellow or red and eventually the phone starts beeping. Yeah, kind of like my brain starts beeping. I have yet to actually have the metaphorical battery drain completely. Lord knows, maybe I'd just black out at that point, but I do get kind of befuddled, clumsy and have difficulties processing any additional information. I wonder if others use this phrase or if it's unique to me. And this makes me wonder if others use the phrase extraverting out, which I guess would be the panicky weirdness one gets after too much time of being alone?

No comments: