Tuesday, November 16, 2010

So I haven't discussed my Core Rhythms habit in a little while, but I assure you, I am still all over that nonsense. I mix it up with other workouts - mostly pilates-based. In fact, I had my entire body brutalized in a back alley by this power yoga workout that I did last Wednesday and could feel for days afterwards! That yoga crap is like the ninja of workouts - usually you know when your ass is being kicked, but with yoga you just wake up and realize you'd been brutalized in a dark alley two days before and must have forgotten. Speaking of yoga (mmmm yogurt, I love yogurt!): I just want to say Kabalah Yoga?? Really??? 



... but nothing keeps me from every taking myself too seriously while still giving me a way to sweat in the mornings better than Core Rhythms. I'm starting to think of Julia and Jaana and their little ballroom bunny assistants as my friends.I guess studies have shown that when we watch television, it stimulates the same areas of the brain as actual socializing, so this is not entirely surprising.


Ok, I'm actually starting to develop complex feelings about their ballroom bunny assistants. There's this one girl in a couple of the videos - think her name is Julie- and I really can't stand her! It's this irrational gut dislike and my brain has started making up all kinds of backstory about her and the annoying things she does. I think she's kind of one of those self-deluded people... the kinds you often see in ballroom who make it somewhat far due to hard work, determination, and a belief so strong in their amazingness that others sometimes buy into it. But deep down in her core she is very insecure and knows she's not that great. And she acts out by being super showy and sassy and always trying just a little too hard... and it's awkward for everyone around her because she always needs affirmation and attention. I groan at her and sometimes insult her whenever I watch the video she's in. It makes me feel better.

Then there's this dude... I love him. He's spunky and sassy and just a little faaaaabulous and I would like to be his friend. Since the back up exercise people are all ballroom competitors/teachers, I would really enjoy tracking him down and seeing him dance for real. I'm very curious how the more serious dances would go - he seems kind of like an irratractable dork/goof. I can't speak to his actual sexuality, but in my ideal world, he would be my gay best friend and we would go out clubbing together.

In this world, incidentally, Tim Gunn would be my awesome bachelor uncle.

By gosh, YES I WILL MAKE IT WORK!!

But back to my Core Rhythms friends, the disembodied stomach. I imagine some day world religions will be built around this torso. It's intimidating enough anyways. I'm not sure where it fits in my ideal little family world.



Because sometimes I really do miss all the personalities that are attracted to the sport/activity. They are truly unimitably unique. "Julie" and happy bouncy fabulous dude are just a few of those types. They're nutty lunatics, sometimes thoroughly aggravating and self-important, but equally brilliant and big-hearted. And they like shiny things! How could I not feel a constant kinship??

No comments: