Sunday, February 13, 2011

..5...

This was, as mentioned, a wonky week. It got wonkier since last mention, as wonkiness (ok, I admit it, I am writing this sentence exclusively because I enjoy the work wonky and its conjugations) wonked wonkier as the week wonkily progressed. Some of the lowlights included the revelation that two - not one, but two - UW 2L's have died in separate occasions. I didn't know them, but it's still kind of... unsettling, not the least of which because we do expect things to come in threes. A series of mediation cancellations continued and revelations that none of the students had been reserving rooms for their mediations made for some fun scrambling. Oh and a last minute urgent need for a dvd I had borrowed from the ILCRG this summer to be at Pepperdine within minutes of the awareness of the need, added some additional adrenaline pumping and FedEx costs.

I also learned that kia : volvo :: baby kitty with brittle bone disease : super-intelligent shark with laser eyes. Luckily I learned this in a charmingly humiliating exercise in parked car hitting on a particular Thursday morning and not in a high speed collision.



Aside from my valiant efforts to rid the world of the utter menace that are parked cars (yes, I am a hero), I spent most of this weekend constructing an assignment that is approximately fifty times the recommended length for my white collar crime class. By the way I think in the interview for becoming a law professor, candidates are sat in a room and forced to think of as many punny names and bizarre in-jokes as possible - it at least seems a fairly requisite skill in constructing exam and assignment hypotheticals. Anyways, it's long. Apparently analyzing elements of crimes against fact patterns is my version of Pringles - once I pop, I can't freaking stop. It's a little terrifying to attempt to edit it back down, but I will admit that it is a blessed thing to have had this assignment and the reminder that this crap is complicated and if this had been exam time, I would have been shocked at how confused I remained after my painfully organized outline.

Also, the Lear production has evolved with a full rewrite of the first two scenes. Instead of declarations of love, apparently the bad daughters now booty dance for Lear while 'Delia (hey, see, I was totally made to play this part, considering how many people have already dubbed me Adelia!) insists on ballroom dancing instead (and again! they didn't even know I do ballroom). I'm not entirely sure, but we may be straying from the original meaning of the story a bit and into Law and Order: SVU territory. Sometimes, you just have to do this to get to the essence... of a Jersey Shore version of Lear. We are scheduled to perform on February 28th at 10:30. I expect you all to hop on the nearest plane and attend.

No comments: