Thursday, August 20, 2009

Running Recap and MP3 Roundup

And... oh I bet you can guess... 23 miles. And yes, after this cut back week, I'm lengenthening my normal runs so that my long run isn't twice as long as any other run.

I've overblogged about all this running nonsense this week as it is, but for the sake of posterity:

I am forming kind of a cycle in terms of my weeks: Three weeks of building intensity followed by one week of cutting back. This isn't really innovative on my part, being stock and standards of pretty much every training plan I've ever seen. But within that, there are nuances emerging. Mostly that on my third week, I don't feel so concerned about overtraining (within limits) because I'm about to take a break. So I can push it a little harder than last week

So: ten (gu-ey) miles - strength - five of speedwork - three with strength - and five of hillwork. Added an extra half mile of hill to my hillwork, upped the pace of my speed work, and am still the odd 5 pounds and extra reps here and there on strength days (cutting down to two days a week seems like it was a good call). I feel less drained than I'd have expected and just a little faster and stronger. It's going to take an effort to cut back next week.

But yes, I'm also including my list of favorite mp3's from this week's workouts and why, because, hey why not? It's interesting to hear what does it for people. My Dad only runs to classical music, for instance.

Favorites for Warming Up/Recovery Periods During Intervals:

Warming up tends to lend itself to songs that are either almost tritely inspirational or that make me laugh. The basic goal is anything to distract me from "I have another hour and a half of this"/"five more intervals, are you insane??" on a tough day and running too hard on an easier day. Peppy is good. Slightly lighter on the bass than when I really need motivation, is good. Something a little mellow to keep me from over-exerting.

1. 99 Luftballoons - Nena. There's a long story behind this song and why it brings a smile to my face. It involves youthful indiscretions and meaningfully poignant memories of tiny little random details we'd never remember under ordinary circumstances. But in the end, it just makes me smile.

2. Crazy in Love - Puppini Sisters. A most awesome charleston cover of the pop-hit. It both makes me laugh and pumps me full of energy.

3. Children's Story - Slick Rick. It's mostly the accent. British men rapping is just too delicious not to focus on - so add anything by Tricky to this list as well.

4. El Anden - Bajofondo Tango Club. I adore this song. Tango rap is highly underdeveloped as a genre, although it's getting there these days. I hear it, I want to move.

5. I Can't Stand the Rain - Seal. Great, laid back beat. And so topical in this climate.

6. I Idolize You - Lizz Wright. So sexy ... and I first heard it on an episode of House, which makes me think of Hugh Laurie... which is always a good thing.

7. I Want you to Want Me - Letters to Cleo. Talk about peppy.

8. I'll be Happy Again - Matthew Primous. Sounds like we should all be standing around swaying in unison and holding German beer steins, certainly the most optimistic post-breakup song in the world, and totally awesome in all regards.

9. Tu Vuo' Fa L'Americano - Talented Mr. Ripley Soundtrack (Or Puppini Sisters, I like both) Just fun. It's a little too light on the bass to really push me when I'm at full speed, but boy does it have a lot of energy.

10. Oops (Oh My) - Tweet. Sassy, dirty, slow enough not to tire me out.


Favorites for Running/Intervals:

The trend here is somewhat heavier bass, strong beats with lighter beats emphasized underneath to give a driving feel, and some variety in the basic rhthymic structure so it doesn't becomes monotonous (techno kind of doesn't work is what I'm saying). Basically, pop songs that make good sambas, cha-cha's or west coast swings and the occasional blues song if it has a lot of energy and maybe a harmonica with a good brass section.

1. Pump it - Black Eyed Peas. Super energetic Pulp Fiction theme mixed with heavy beats and somebody telling you to "pump it" - it's like the quintessential motivational song.

2. Baby Got Back - Sir Mixalot. Why a song praising a woman's steatopygia is appropriate for running one's ass off, I couldn't say. But it is. It definitely breaks up any chance of getting too serious, and seriousness is so overrated.

3. Bounce With Me - Kreesha Turner. Maybe it's a good reminder not to be too bouncy while running, or maybe it's just got a nice beat. And of course "Gotta move" does get repeated enough times to be somewhat convincing.

4. Bring it on Down - Goose. Pumping bass, crowds going wild, and it was featured on an Episode of Dirty Sexy Money where it was played during a rave on the Brooklyn Bridge. How is that not motivational?

5. Cha Cha - Chelo. Running to the samba that's all about dancing the cha-cha... duh!

6. Don't Phunk With my Heart - Black Eyed Peas. Lots of energy in the female voices, a strong bass beat, but also a good mix of variety within the structure of the song.

7. Fighter - Christina Aguilera. Ok, so if there were a romantic comedy where some girl got jerked around by her marathon star ex-boyfriend and decided to show him up by beating him in a marathon, meanwhile falling madly in love with her personal trainer and/or next door neighbor, this would totally be the song used for the training montage. Plus, it's good to hear over and over again the words "work a little bit harder" and "stronger" and "I am a fighter" when you're feeling low on energy.

8. Get Busy - Sean Paul. Same basic motivation as the other sambas encouraging people to dance/shake/bounce. Good pacing and somebody just keeps telling you to move.

9. Guinness World Book on the Blues - O'Donel Levy. One of the best blues songs with terrifically tongue-in-cheek lyrics that gently poke fun at the blues genre. And when you're feeling on the cusp of collapsing, hearing about somebody else's misfortune is comforting, especially backed with some fabulous harmonica.

10. Idlewild Blues - Outkast. Everybody gets the blues... even babies get the blues! I have no specific reason for this one, but it always makes me run a bit lighter when I hear it.

Favorites for Cooling Down:

Around cooling down time, I'm pumped full of endorphins and, having burned off a lot of carbs that might otherwise feed my brain, pretty stupid; this is a lot like the state of being in love. Hence my theory that sappy romantic songs really hit the spot right about now. So far this has been born out. Also, slower blues songs work here pretty well.

1. Could It Be Magic - Puppini Sisters. If I were choreographing somebody's wedding first dance, it would be this song. Largely centered around three part harmonies and simple but evocative lyrics of first infatuation... it just puts a dumb sentimental smile on my face.

2. I'm Yours - Jason Miraz. I really enjoy the way he fits his lyrics into the rhythm. There's a very satisfying coversational pacing that makes this song more interesting that it otherwise might be.

3. The Way that I Am - Ingrid Michaelson. Very forthright sentiment. Nothing overblown, but capturing a little magic in every day details like sharing a sweater and buying somebody rogaine. And what endorphin-giddy half-wit's heart doesn't melt at the line "and you... take/love me the way that I am"

4. Better Together - Jack Johnson. So basically simple arrangements of one instrument and a human voice are what do it for me, if you haven't gotten the pattern yet.

5. Ice Cream - Sara McLachlan. One of my favorite Viennese Waltzes. Not only is it sweet and romantic but the word "ice cream" after a ten mile run always makes me perk up.

6. Take a Giant Step - Taj Mahal. This adaptation of the Monkee's ballad to letting go of the past and finding new love is catchy, sentimental and soothing with Taj's voice.

7. Kiss Me - Sixpence None the Richer. Cheesey as all get out, but that's the way I roll at the end of a work out.

8. Fever - Devil Doll. Any version of fever at any time usually does it for me, but this one has a nice smoothness to it.

9. Fallin' - Alicia Keys. Ok walking away from the sappy to the more conflicted, but a good rich sound with a relaxed pacing.

10. Walk Away - Christina Aguilera. I love this song - one of the best vehicles for her incredibly powerful and complex voices is a blues song about a codependant relationship... of course.

Favorites for Stretching Out:

Boleros, electrotangos, electronic in general seem indiscriminately perfect... the chill vibe seems to lend itself to being gentle and really stretching.

Since the same thing appeals in most of these songs, apply this universally: There's something about really sensual songs that works for stretching in general - I guess because it's all about being in your body and extremely aware. This song works that for me pretty well.

1. Dancing In the Rain - Robi Rosa.

2. Destiny - Zero 7.

3. Esta Noche - Federico Aubele.

4. Apologize - Timbaland

5. Until the Morning - Thievery Corporation

6. Demastado - B-Tribe

7. Overcome - Tricky

8. Postales - Federico Aubele

9. La Vie - Silent Poets

10. Glory Box - Portishead

Oh and for good measure, since I've been listening to some cds I got for my birthday:

Favorite Tango Tanda of the Week:


Vale Tango's:

Gallo Ciego
Malandraca
A Evaristo Carriego
El Amanacer

A Evaristo Carriego featured in another of my all-time favorite tandas: Quintango's Oblivion-A Evaristo Carriego-Pavadita-Libertango. Vale Tango does Pugliese proud, though, with an amazing range of dramatic tension, soft and evocative moments, strident rhythmic lines, and fabulous introductory measures - particularly for Gallo Ciego (which has a jaws-like intro) and El Amanacer (which brings a whole new excitement and suspense to this classic and fills me with delight everytime I recognize the melody).

No comments: