Tuesday, April 27, 2021

TACO!! And the Springtime Sleepies

And time keeps passing... Our calendars are starting to get a little bit more peppered. Summer plans are coming together.... and... 



TACO!!

So... I wish I could say why two Thursdays in a row are marked "Taco". You'd think I'd know, since I wrote it, but ... no idea. At all.

Spring continues to spring like an overwound watch. Everything is ablaze with blossom;it's all giddy with pullullating pretties.  May we indeed barge right into the end of spring? Right after I bid toodles to April. It was a weird one, with the most consecutive days above 70 degrees (and nose-bleed dry to boot). Yesterday the high was 30 degrees lower than the week before. And we have rain again. Which, honestly, settles some anxiety for me. Nobody needs to rush into heat waves,  droughts, and the dreaded smoke season here. Rainy with glorious sunny bursts: that's the spring I've come to expect.


We're in the middle of a genetic experiment here (so I read from some anti-vaxx meme). I am hoping that I develop ultimately practical super powers like teleportation or the ability to make tiny females of all species stop MAKING A GOD AWFUL RACKET OUTSIDE MY DOOR WHEN I'M TRYING TO F-ING SLEEP ALREADY (I miss when Allan couldn't open her own door. I miss... sleep). 


Although I'll say that we adjusted a little bit to her obvious lack of interest in ever sleeping again. We now postpone bedtime a little later and do our journaling together. Andrew and I have shared a short journal for most of our relationship and we both keep separate bullet journals, so we thought Allan deserved to add in a little of her je ne said quois. Last week, we have gotten into pjs and come back down to the couch with all our journals. We help Allan write what she did that day and she draws a glorious picture (or fifty). Then she draws what she wants to do the next day and maybe we write a little more. It's cozy. This part I like. 

Of course she's back to revved the F up by the end of bedtime. I blame my stirring story telling skills, ultimately. Who couldn't be excited about Baby Bunny Goldrash making pooping noises in the hallway with her windup toys? 

We've started taking shifts outside her door and holding it shut, as it is the only thing we really have left to do here. 


And no, no we will not eventually "relent" and "let her sleep in our bed."Not happenin' buddy. 

 You know why? She doesn't f-ing want to sleep with us! 

She'd rather burn the bed down. She wants everyone to be awake and chasing her. She wants to run up and down the stairs while cackling and being chased by her chagrined parents. This is what she wants.

 We've both separately attempted that cosleeping fantasy (which does become a fantasy after the fifth time you're ripped from sleep by a giddy hysterical child who wants to know how to draw a wildebeast and where are the bunny slippers she had when she was two?? Because she really doesn't know!!) and it has been a spectacular failure. So... back to guarding her door - and yes, maybe using my robe tie to tie teh doorknob of her door to the bathroom door knob, because my hands get tired holding that knob - until she passes out in mid reverie. 

But hey... I'll take a peaceful moment as they come. You know, like that 45 minutes after I've gone to bed but before Allan comes banging at the door yelling "Adella.... Adella... What's a hyena???" Of course the next day I will happily burst our my detailed illustrated knowledge about matriarchal societies and psuedophalluses. But a mom's gotta rest up for that stuff. 

In other family fun, we've been baking. Made a quiche (Allan hated it but she did enjoy making it). Cookies. Three times in one week. Though some of those were reserved for Gramma Pam. 


 

Last week it was a chocolate brownie cake in honor of Grampa Ian's birthday


Pig may not look like it, but they went to culinary school in Nice and had a small renowned bakery in Manhattan before coming to live with us. 

This week, it was apple bread pudding with butterscotch sauce. I may have eaten about half of this already. But at least Andrew got a taste first. 


Allan kind of lost interest in this one and started howling about how she wanted to play with toys instead. She can't do that unless I do it with her, apparently, so I provided my aptest voice acting ... which was thoroughly insufficient. Several miserable tantrums later, the house smelled like delicious baking and shredded cheese for breakfast (sorry, we refused breakfast, shredded cheese was a "snack")

But yeah, um where were we? Right, no super powers. Though, we are on our way to pretty darned good immunity. 

And on our way to that second shot that may be "huh my arm is sore again" or may be "I saw Jesus in a spangled unitard after my 24th hour of sweat drench febrile shaking and sobbing"... who can say? We are having Gramma Pam come watch the beast for a few days after the second round of shots. Which will be fun, because in May, I get Pfizer part 2 followed very shortly by two more days of allergy testing (the prick your skin with needles variety), and the related lack of antihistamines that get me through this time of the year)

I'll say with the first Pfizer, I had more "side effects" waiting in the car. I was pretty much stuffed up and drowning in my own phlegm and globus by the time we got the shots, but after... meh. My arm hurt for a day and change. 


Anyways, I'm looking forward to being done with it all! The shots I mean. I know the pandemic isn't just going to suddenly wind down as soon as I've slept off my last vaccine fever. I'm fine staying at home and wearing masks for another long time. Just be nice to not have one more question mark out there. And to be help the world be much safer for the little munchkin. 


Because it's all a giant question mark, and Allan is the biggest one of all. How did  my daughter get to be so brilliantly vivid and creative? Does her insistence on dragging the cat across the floor by her tail indicate early sociopathy or just a typical 5 year old's impairment of empathy? 

Will she be as excited about soccer by the 8th session?



Because her first soccer classes have been a hit. She was the only girl, and has definitely doubled down on that with her pretty pink dress and itty bitty pink bunny soccer ball. Otherwise, she's one of the clueless space cadet kids in a class that ranges from toddler-swarm to mini-Pele. It was fun to watch though. She runs up and down the field playing with her hair and largely dribbling her ball or looking at imaginary butterflies. When the other kids run off the field to get water, she runs into the goal and hides there until it's time to come back out. No idea why. She passes the ball pretty well. She jumps up and down excitedly. And she said "FUN" when we asked how it went both times




We have another 6 classes to go, with nice early deadlines for it to click or for her to go supernova. I'm just glad we conquered the underwear-resistance a few months back. Maybe... maybe someday we'll get her to sleep some or something. Or at least retreat to her teencave and mope quietly with her headphones while we sleep. Oh the heaven!

Meanwhile I haven't sliced any part of myself, but my car did have kind of an exciting few days of adventure. 

On our way to soccer, we realized that my car no longer worked. At all. The battery was bone dry deader than disco. We switched to Andrew's and then Andrew decided to deal with it when we got back. He had a car starter kit that was not particularly brilliant but after about an hour and a half, it managed to jump the car and he decided to take it driving to charge up the battery. Somewhere along the drive, he accidentally turned the engine off, stranding himself and the Honda in the middle of the road. Apparently my car doesn't naturally go into neutral, so he had to wait for a kind stranger to lend him a knife so he could override the settings. Eventually he got a jump and drove the car around again until it seemed to be fine. Of course yesterday it didn't start again, so they all drove me to my doctor's appointment and went to - joy of joys - Home Depot!!!!! Allan was ecstatic. She drove in the car cart (apt considering our current issues with the car) and got a lollipop. Not just any lollipop but a red lollipop. So... whatever else happens, Allan calls this all a win.



 She was so excited about her lollipop she decided to figure out how to spell "red" which is kind of cool since she's had a striking amount of distaste to ambivalence about spelling until fairly recently. The Alphablocks are definitely our friends. 

(And Goldrash the Baby Bunny's pets, but that's a different story)



One we're working on telling eventually... But for now, let's just go with Tuesdaying. Wish us luck. 

No comments: