Saturday, October 10, 2020

Spirit Bunnies Got Teeth

Well happy Halloweenmonth! I feel like in March somebody said maybe as soon as this month we'd have a vaccine or something, but... ah whatever. Maybe 2024. 



We're fine. Everything is fine. It's all... fine. 


No no, it's almost Halloween, so things are great. Allan the bunny-girl (sometimes she's a bunny and she's crying because the mirror or the camera is hiding her ears, sometimes she's a girl because it's more fun ot be a girl, but often she's a bunny-girl now) LOVES Halloween. And the Day of the Dead. She's very worried that Andrew's grandmother thinks she's Chaya. She's never met Andrew's grandmother, as both of his died before he and I met. But she's very ready to put up a day of the dead altar and inform our ancestors of her proper identity. Also spirits. She is excited to watch "spirit movies." I don't think she means Bring it On, but worth a shot.

But yes, it's been a month!

I believe we left off with a glorious rainstorm that swept away (eventually) the choking smoking September excitement... RAIN!!! And then a few days of exeptionally glorious blue skies (they weren't smiling at me so much as grinning maniacally at me) 

The smoke came back for a bit and the air quality remained kind of middling for that period of time, but all in all, breathable air is back on our list of household amenities. Thank goodness. And we are now properly in rain season for the next 9 months or so. 

Of course it appears that the entire world is teetering on the verge of apocalypse this month, but hey, what else is new? I hear that playgrounds are opening up again in Seattle! This is free ice cream for life as far as I'm concerned. As long as we cover everyone in sanitizer and run away screaming as soon as other children approach... (best way to eat ice cream anyways) Honestly, it might create more conflict than our blanket "no playgrounds" policy with the having to leave or forestall trips based on unpredictable factors. But it's still kind of exciting. 

Allan actually has completely given up on ever looking at the playgrounds. She has found rocks. And grass. And benches. And ducks. And... water features. 




And crafts. And her kindle. And several media of artwork in general because she is an artist! And sometimes a painter!




 The world is her playground. 

Especially now that we can actually go out into "the world" without oxygen tanks. 

Preschool has been going fairly well. Allan is the eldest by a good 6+ months so she is DOMINATING the other kids. She knows her letters and her numbers and her colors like it ain't no thing. She knows patterns. And she's very ready to side track the class to tell everyone about how she cried for several hours on account of her favorite pink pen running out of ink or how Anjhpah (one of many nicknames for Daddy bunny) gave her a kiss on cheek this morning and how Adellwah had the audacity not to be home for breakfast yesterday afternoon and the plot of whatever movie we've seen and ... damn this kid suddenly found her outgoing comfort spot for blabbing! 

Our original teacher - who was awesome - first was recovering from surgery and then her husband ended up in the hospital for an emergency surgery of his own so we have a new one now. And she's great, but Allan totally overruns her to control the class. Which is fine with her, so it's fine with me. I've been a frequent guest star as she insists I come over to say "hi" to everyone.


When we aren't doing online classes, her new show is Spiderman. The mega cheese fest 1980's cartoon version because why not? Despite that, she's utterly doubled down on gender normativity, yelling out "girls only wear dresses" and"I need jewels" and "I need a pumpkin spice latte and a spa day!" and "men are scum" stuff like that. Lord knows. At least - thanks to several very lovely books we started her on at a young age - she thinks it's ok for boys to wear dresses too. 

We're actually starting to hit a certain sense of normalcy and pace (which I'm sure predicts certain upheaval). Preschool is Monday, Wednesday, Friday. She also still does Outschool classes. We have her on a regular Thursdsay class with music and dancing that she's mostly liked, but she was so not into it last week. I guess we'll see if it was circumstantial or the passing of interest.

We have yet to re-attempt the bicycle, but hopefully soon. Or not. My back gets sore pushing her, because Andrew's on his bike and she is too busy telling tales of baby bunny and brother bunny and possibly Chaya to pedal or steer or anything. 

Oh yeah "Chaya" has had an interesting month. She lived in a tree and burrowed through the ground into some neighbor's yards. Then fell out of the tree and ended up hurt so the ambulance had to come for her. She's back in a neighbor's yard now I believe. We called the police but they couldn't find her. 



Allan, though is still having fun with her grandma Pam. She stayed at her house a couple weekends ago and had a marvelous time. Until she got home and had a week long meltdown because - as she put it - "I was having too much fun at Gramma Pam's to rest!"

Artist's rendition below




(except she was stark naked because apparently she takes off her dress when she's "sad" now). 

In personal news, still catching up on reestablishing medical care etc. I had a dental exam that was straight outta some kind of sci fi film (no creatures have popped out of my chest... yet), but resulted in no orders for fillings or other procedures, so I call it a win. I had an attempt to get a DEXA bone scan (my bones are made of candy canes and we wanna keep a watch on that), but the traffic was awful, the parking non-existant and the directions were wrong and... it was a fun miserable race around my old Cap Hill neighborhood haunts.

 I also spoke with a GI doctor, who pretty much shrugged and ordered a new endoscopy and offered a colonoscopy thrown in if I wanted. She didn't think I necessarily needed one. Just, you know, if I wanted... Anyways, I'm fairly sure that insurance has no intention of paying for a new endoscopy, so I haven't heard back from them since. By the way. Telehealth visits really bring home how little time you actually spend with a practitioner. That medical appointment that takes you over an hour to complete (not counting commute)? It really is 11 minutes, maybe. Maybe. Why on earth are most of them in person? There are definitely some that really need to be, but many really are a "hi I needed to say hi before you'd order my next whatever it is that I now have to independently schedule... ok... thanks"

I also have an ENT, an allergist and a neurologist to connect with. It'll be a madcap romp of pointless waiting, getting lost in hospital complexes and eventually having some tests thrown at me that will likely be normal or inconclusive. Because... fun! And since my knee doesn't seem to be getting better, and my wrists and hands keep hurting, probably some more stuff for that. I'm not 70, I swear!

Anyways, I'm a super hero mamma bunny so I'll be fine. 




I've been having fun playing with the inktober challenge (every day of October you get a drawing prompt). Andrew introduced me, and it's nice to have a little structure to my sketching.

And to see how other people interpret the same challenge



That's Andrew's drawing for "teeth" with Allan's coloration styles, and it's Allan biting my butt. So true to life!

 I love drawing becaues it's something i'll never be particularly good at so I can just do it sincerely an dnot stress about it. I'm at SprinkleSparkleSketch if you're into the IG art challenges.

And - as allowed - I still play around on bandlab. Working on something else but we did this a little while ago

And it won't embed. It was here: Thunder

Anyhoo, I hope everyone's ready for a particularly scary October because... yikes things are getting scary. But there are also spirits. And they need to know that Allan is a bunny!

No comments: