Monday, March 2, 2020

LEAPING Lords a Getting Outta February

We leapt right over that bonus day and holy bajoly, it's March!

March - trip time. House hunting heating up. Clocks getting readjusted. Flowers blossoming and spewing their beautiful death dander into the atmosphere!

It's almost spring!

My goodness, what's been going on in the maison d'Wrightness?

Valentine's Day came and went and came again (two Valentine's parties for the beast). The first Valentine's party was a bacchanalia- despite all official imprecations, several parents supplied their children with swarms of handcrafted heavily  candied valentine's for distribution. Chaya scribbled on the back of some Paw Patrol Valentine's cards I had bought in bulk.

We keep expectations realistic here.

 People were kind of over it on Friday, so Chaya mostly just got cards like hers. But then again on Friday she got her very first fun dip, which she proceeded to eat over the course of her entire lunch time. Those take forever for a 4 year old! Roughly a fortnite of concerted dipping and licking before it was naptime and mommy deftly scooped out the remaining half of powder that was still in there and told Chaya she got to eat the stick at the end. Wow, was her mind blown. .

And then Chaya turned 4 and a half! And yes, she's an only child and she's under 5, so we "celebrated." But we're us, so we "celebrated" by going to Fred Meyer's and buying a chocolate muffin, then selling it as a "cupcake" because they're basically the same thing.




And then we continued with our regular groceries and chores and Chaya didn't care because she'd eaten her body weight in chocolate flavored carbs and would later have her customary combination of carbs and cheese in some form or other.

And then - AND THEN - it was President's Day. And we didn't do much. But the day before that we went to the Tacoma Children's Museum (Loudest, most hectic children's museum on the west coast) with some friends. Then we tried to have lunch but the place we went to have broken grills or something and said maybe in 40 minutes (note that number - foreshadowing... maybe... or maybe a red herring... only time will tell). The kids were crynig. The dog our friends had was running around. The tummies were grumbling...

So we looked up diners on the way back north and settled somewhat arbitrarily on a place in Fife. They had plenty of seating, so that was good.

Then we ordered, eventually.

Then... we waited. And waited. And the children stacked all the jam packets on the table in a little fortress. And then Chaya's friend cried to realize he wasn't anywhere near his parents, but instead locked between Chaya and her mommy. And then the tables were rearranged. And then and then and then. Some cries of mutiny and restlessness later (as we edged through naptime), food eventually arrived. We ate. We ran. All was well.

And then...

SPRING BREAK!

Chaya did great actually. We went to a few different library story times




There was a lot of painting.



And Daddy was home on Monday



It was good.

And at the end of the week, our dear dear friends, Nate and Azita dropped by with their adorable little cherub sprouts

Chaya and Caspar are about a year and change apart, but Caspar's a precocious three and Chaya's swayed by strong personalities of all ages, so they were besties like immediately.

Ran off together into her room and started placing toys all around the house in strange and enigmatic childhood places.

"I'm SPOOKY!!!"
.

Once more, we tried going out to lunch to discover (this time while calling ahead) that our first destination had a forty minute wait. It's a theme! Foreshadowing paid off!!! And the Indian restaurant we ended up at was delightful but my mom had to go find a waiter after Chaya started screaming "I'M THIRSTY" for a good ten minutes.

They explained to us that it was ok because as soon as you order, the kitchen gets the order and brings it out. Then the dude went on about how awesome their system was as Chaya continued to not get her apple juice until we reordered it after all the food had been served. And he then eventually separated us all into individual checks for simplicity's sake.

Anyways, we were all good and still somehow barely on time for the Opera we were planning to attend. We left Chaya with my mom and off and sped off a very quick transition time only to discover my mom didn't have a key to get into the apartment! So, bye bye opera, nice try.

So fun Spring Break bookended by restaurant shenanigans.

I, for my part, decided to spend the break limping around at a different angle than usual. My podiatrist had suggested new shoes might solve my plantar fasciities. I was game. I bought the biggest cushiest rocker shoes on the list and rapidly found that they made my knees sore as heck. After a few days of "breaking them in," I put them away but my knees were still miserable. Finally went to the doctor on Wednesday and he thought one of my ligaments was sprained, but it didn't matter exactly which one because the recovery was the same. There's an order for an x-ray if the rehab exercises don't do the trick.

Luckily, I found a way to help my knees...

namely...

... oh you'll never guess




get SICK. Really really sick and spend two days totally incapacitated on the couch!

Works every time.

On Monday, I was feeling a little achy and off but I figured that was because I'd taken Chaya to meet Nate and family at the park and my seasonal allergies are nothing to scoff at. Seriously, I don't get a stuffy nose - I more light into a giant itchy flame ball these days. It's fun. So I didn't take the general ague seriously, despite having a slight temperature.

Then on Monday night I went to bed early and work up around 1 a.m. with all the misery of a good something.


No, NOT the coronavirus... yet. At least since it didn't involve a fever OR a cough, I'm reasonably sure I'm rocking some old school bug-classic. Really. Don't panic and start posting messages tracking my movements on Facebook so people can run screaming and super soakering sanitizer at me. I say this because, trust me, the paranoia in King County is getting a little febrile and people are starting to share info of family members of quarantine people and where they work and how to avoid them because they have been EXPOSED!!! "Wash your friggin' hands, folks". That, I believe is the "pandemic panic" phrase for "F off" more than particularly heartfelt advice. But there we go.

ANYWAYS, I'm not denigrating fear of illness, because it sucks. This one did too and 'm super glad I didn't share it with anyone else in the family.

 Spent some good morning time moaning on the couch with a trash can nearby for heaving.

Around 6 a.m. I texted Andrew, who was waking up in the bedroom asking if he could handle Chaya and he said yes - because he's a decent human being who loves his family - so I stayed passed out on the couch until it was time to wake Chaya up. At that point, I snuck into the bedroom and slept all day. Chaya had a blast. Breakfast at IHOP. All day with daddy. Occasionally coming into the bedroom to jump on mommy's bed... and/or mommy.

So far Chaya has learned that when her parents are sick or injured she has WAY MORE FUN. She, for one, is pumped about the upcoming epidemic and rubbing her hands and face on every available surface with abandon.

I was still feeling pretty trashed on Tuesday night and went to bed super early. Only to wake up at about 10 and find hives, massive massive hives all over my body. I was just one giant walking hive. I harassed Andrew with the least attractive body-showing ever. We kind of looked at each other for a while and I eventually decided this wasn't emergency room material and so there wasn't much more to do until morning. Took ibuprofen which turns out to be a terrible thing to do with hives (they can cause them and exacerbate, whoops) and went to urgent care in the morning.

The urgent doctor assured me it wasn't measles and they tested for Strep. He decided probably an adenovirus had caused the hives and most people around me would just get a fever and be sniffly for a day or two if anything. Told me to drown myself in antihistamines and then in an excess of caution because I said my throat felt swollen, also prescribed prednisone. Which is... Damn.

Remember when we were kids and we intentionally bought illicit drugs to feel all sped up and high and maybe see things or have our moods change? Now our doctors force this shit on us and we're fighting it and double checking them and wondering if we should really be taking this chronic shit. I've been tweaked out here (but frantically starving at the same time, which is really weird) on this stuff. And I'm told I might have a psychotic break or maybe a feeling of euphoria just depending. Wheeeee. It's not miracuously cured me but between the high dose antihistamine night and the prednisone the last two days, the hives mostly cleared.

Anyways, hate prednisone, hives or no. I'm now on my first day off, meaning it's still in my system but my heart rate is once more capable of occasionally going below seventy, so that's something. I hear scary stories about prednisone withdrawal, so I remain on notice, but massive fatigue doesn't sound horrible if I can also sleep.

Since I haplessly scheduled an allergy test on Wednesday, I've been off of antihistamines the last few days and it was bad ass timing to think about doing that. Still.Some answers would be nice and I have had any plethora of condtions that are set off by allergies for years.

Anyways, although I'm all sickly and have been drugged up to the gills, life goes on.

This weekend we gave ourselves a fun little house hunting adventure!


You can watch "songs" at home OR at an Air BnB in White Center


We stayed in White Center (Seattle) on Saturday night to check out the area a little more intimately. It was cool. We had fun.We actually found a place in a different neighborhood we like more Saturday during the day. But it was still fun. And we learned tons about White Center at night. Namely, there is a White Center and it becomes night there.

And that they have some pretty hip places in between smoke shops convenient stores and asian markets. The proletarat pizza was pretty good. The people do it right.

On Sunday we fled the dustiest Air BnB ever to try out a cafe near the place we liked (Cafe Nos Nos - must be near Cafe Nos Nos). They charged a ton for light fare and messed up Andrew's order, but hey. It's Cafe Nos Nos. We liked it. Andrew went on a run in the neighborhood with Chaya and they ended up at the park across from the townhouses we like. And... it was cool. Really nice.

Anyways, all that is to say... we're gonna put an offer on a house this week!!!!

In a hot hot market,with plenty of other interest, so it's gonna be gambling time. But still exciting to get into the game..

Where? Heckno, I'm not tipping off the competition.We'll tell ya if we get it.

Happy March all y'all!


No comments: