Monday, September 15, 2014

(W)right Revels Take it on the Road Pragueperations Reach a Pitching Point!

Previously on A&A's Adventures in Pragueperations and Perambulations: Screwpocalyptic catastrophes contended with kitchen chaos for supremacy of the DINK September sweet-spot. Medical maunderings led to revised protocols and prescriptions, with a side of sheerly scientific discomfort. And the clock wound down (astronomically) to the ADVENTUREMOON of a lifetime. 

Coming up: The days wind down and luggage looms, while Andrew flees the territory in lieu of preparations. Adella adds lunacy to her looby lady routine. And the pizza purge heats up. All roads lead to Seattle traffic and ten hour treks to Frankfurt. Will our distinctly different DINKS both end up packed and ready when the countdown winds down??

Grab your booking numbers, check your checklists and join us to find out!


Princess of Patches and the Knight Errant Escapes to Boulder
Oh where oh where to begin? I'm a single lady again WHOOOOOO! The hubba-hubba was surprisingly lithe and agile sneaking out of bed and on his way to the airport this morning. Well... after I started shaking him two seconds before his 3:30 a.m. alarm started thinking about going off. And after rummaging about, attempting to find my waiting lips in a darkened room, kissing me goodbye and stumbling out of the room. But after that, his cat-like grace was complemented by a closed bedroom door and the white noise created by our roaring fan. 

The boy's off to Boulder (in a half hour anyways) where there is a good chance the big machine that he is commissioning won't actually arrive until ... drum roll please... TOMORROW! But hey, he has a company laptop, so all the work he does at EI(EEEEIIIIIOOO) can be done remotely at this point. So, he may commission a large machine today. Or he may go for a regular work day but with a slightly worse commute than usual. 

I'm back in Bellingham. After my gentle tango with thee-thirty a.m. (and the love-shove that sent Mr. (W)right on his way, of course), I did manage to fall back into a somewhat restive parasomnia until the alarm began its slow fade to bright. As an aside, can I just say that my "natural light" alarm is custom made for me and Mr. (W)right. It's programmed to wake a person "gradually" by gradually increasing light a half hour before the official alarm time. At the official alarm time, the light is on full lamp-mode and birds start chirping.

Here's how it plays out for us. I'm a painfully light sleeper, especially during the wee hours of the morning. I could never use this alarm in its intended fashion. The second a change occurs in the room, I am roused. And the beginning warmth of an ember of light is usually enough to stir me. However I also get up before Andrew and start the coffee, put away the dishes he washed the night before, pack our lunches, stare dolefully at all the food I can no longer eat because I just took a synthroid and am supposed to wait, etc. etc.

Now, Andrew could sleep through the Apocalypse. One time in Seattle, I woke up violently ill, stumbled out of bed, fainted and cracked my head against a closet, woke up and then spewed bodily fluids around the floor. He heard neither any of that, the faint moaning, or my clean up efforts and only later noticed that I'd gone back to sleep on the couch. His old alarm needed to be set at least an hour before his desired wake-up time. So, the light and the birds start to rouse him from sleep about a half hour after I've gotten up, and then I come and grapple hook him the rest of the way to consciousness five to ten minutes later. Perfect alarm clock for us. 

So yes, back to alarm's first light. Since I can't eat for a half hour after taking my first pill of the day, I decided to just head in to work. But wait, only after finding my passport (thank god, it was in one of the five places I was pretty sure it had to be). And then, oh god I've had the veggie scraps to make broth for a long time and they are going to spoil, so obviously time to set up the slow cooker. BUT THEN, oh wait, the veggies scraps had already started going bad, so I hastily fished them out of the slow cooker and tossed them in the compost. BUT THEN, I had already lined the slow cooker with olive oil and spices, so I figured today was as good a day as any to start up a slow cooker stew with some of the produce in the fridge. We are leaving soon, after all, so there's plenty to cook up somehow. I'm a little surprised to realize that my manic morning ad-lib essentially replicates a recipe that I'd tagged a day or two ago. Go brain. 

Ok and at that point (after packing my mounds and mountains of food in my bag) I did actually make it to work. Still about a half hour earlier than usual and still slightly early to eat. I've just now thrown some eggs in the microwave and had a bite of breakfast. 

And just in time for Prague, my pill cases got more awesomer again. I'm not sure when I reached the point where I am SO excited about pill cases. But I went to lunch with a friend yesterday. Turns out that she is experiencing a lot of the same underlying issues as me (although in different manifestation) and is taking the naturopath version of nearly all my current supplements. I was quite the zealous advocate of the double pill case concept. Don't get me started on the joys of rhapsodizing about the various interactions, side effects, and schedules going up on my calendar. Oh yeah, and emotional support. There was some of that too. 

Anyways, I'm back in full looby lady lunacy. But was I ever really gone. My regimen this week is blessedly familiar. Except now I have patches as well. That's right. I have pills AND patches. The patches add a whole new right out of the (pill) box thinking about all this. Where do I put my teeny little patch? Will I remember to change it every other day? Will I remember to increase the number of little leeches on my body next week? There's a calendar for that! They're pretty discreet though, and more durable than I feared. Oh and pricy. My insurance has a high deductible with an HSA, so I see how much various meds cost. Your garden variety estrogen pills are dirt cheap. Your patches exceed these pills in cost by about 2000% which is still not that expensive in the long run, but a bit of an emotional adjustment at the teller's line. 

As expected the return to a baseline level of influx has had little effect. I'm a wee bit spacy (see socks for relevant reference since it is morning and my humor doesn't hit until late afternoon) from the restive morning, but hugely relieved to have physically identified my passport's hiding nook. 

On to cook all the things in my kitchen and finish up a spot of work or something! Like setting up my vacation alarm and hiding all the paper sprawl that has taken an ivied stranglehold of any flat surfaces hereabouts.




Mi-mi-mi-meeee-yeow: Out of the Office and Into the Countdown Two days to go

Well technically "three" but one of those days will be spent hovering various swaths of Atlantic Ocean and European Continent. Two more parasomniac snoozes in my very own Tempur-pedic.

 Two more days of piling every conceivable portable snack item and shred of under-clothing on the dining room table (a/k/a "packing staging area"). Sadly, my delicious home-made versions of snacks and bars do not survive out of the fridge for long enough to make them particularly feasible accompaniment. And several of my staples for on the road protein supplementation are primarily soy-based, which of course I'm currently trying to avoid. This necessitates alternative interventions.

My weight tends to tank when I'm travelling. Being a vegetarian in a foreign land isn't super easy. And being a veggie who's generally a bit particular about the foods her stomach prefers... And being the kind of person who forgets to eat if she's out of her eating routine... usually a combination for emaciation. Probably why it's good that I limit the duration of my travels these days. I never did clock in how much weight we lost bumming around Morocco for that month and some, but given that we spent much of the final days sitting around our motel half ill and fantasizing about bathing in buckets of ice cream, I'm guessing there was some undernutrition going on.

Given that I'm still teetering on the edge of the low weight that got me into the matryoshka mess I'm in in the first place, and given that my weight is slipping an eensy bit in response to a revved up thyroid, packing sufficient food is a higher priority than socks and undies for now. There shall be bags and bags of nuts and dried foods, of course. Cereal baggies. Seeds.

 And, since protein is already a bit more problematic right now but relies heavily on sources that prefer to be cooked up into perishable form first, I had to find a few protein bars. I actually did via the internetz. I'm not even going to comment on the Quest bars I discovered, except to say that GNC has five bazillion flavors and Amazon has slightly better prices when GNC isn't having a sale. But they are beautifully simple in the ingredients line, and soy free, so I call this a win. I often also bring a baggie of protein powders but I'm a little wary of carrying white powders through any customs lines. Pre-packaged food is not my usual preference, but in some cases it has the edge. 

As such, the table is currently teetering with quest bars, nuts, fruits, etc. etc. Oh and a shirt, some books, my passport, and a pile of underwear. Clearly I'm ready for this trip. 

Two more days of staring at the Czech phrasebook, laughing and wondering if I really should have tried at least a few of those language tapes. It's actually funny. I've travelled pretty well all over, but almost everywhere I've been I've had some faint grasp of the language. Speak one garbled Romance language, you can garble through to the bathroom in them all, after all. And the germanic languages aren't too difficult to pick up essentials from in a day or two. 

Two more days of razing through all the perishables in the house. As I mentioned above, I tend to prefer pretty unprocessed foods. These are great if you're eating through them at a regular pace. I tend to cycle through my foods within four or five days, sometimes less time for the produce. I was a touch taken aback at the amount of food spoilage that occurred just from eating out more during the family visit. Needless to say, the vast majority of my fridge-foods wouldn't take to an unmolested 8 days particularly kindly.

Usually right before a trip, I have to nearly empty the fridge. The great Exodus occurs via three channels: (1) cutting off grocery supplies - little to no additional food trips beginning about four days out; (2) eating the crap out of anything available and perishable; (3) processing the rest into freezable form. This of course means I'm already ruefully out of some staples. I may relent and buy some premade yogurt and a small thing of milk. My salads are down to cabbage and peppers in terms of produce. Anything left over by Sunday evening will be tossed into one more slow cooker meal that will subsequently be frozen.

A pain when I return, since washing & chopping produce, making yogurt, baking bars, etc. all takes time. Going to be especially interesting with the Monday return. I also often prepare for the return by pre-buying items. Yogurt or milk are fine if unopened. A lot of the usual items can be thawed into edible form rather apace. I'm feeling fairly unmotivated at the moment though, so we'll see what manifests. I'd better damned well do something with the peppers and parsley, though. 

And two more days of pre-vacation WEEKEND! I'm feeling unmotivated to take advantage of Mr. (W)right's remaining absence to be productive in any way. I figure he'll have plenty of catch up to do tomorrow anyways. So bring on at least another few hours of crosswords and aimless internet staring as I toast the cup of Lethe to bygone working days. 





DINKS Reunited, Revved up and (ok not quite yet) Ready to Go And the Count-Down Clicks to One Day Left

Encase your hearts in adamantium hopeful bachelors: Adella's oriel of single-ladydom has concluded yet again. Boulder returned my boyfrianceband in roughly the same condition that it received him (slightly dryer skin and a bit shaggier of a stubble-beard, but nearly fully intact otherwise). He came crashing home with aplomb and a big big bag roughly 8 p.m. last night, quite brimming with tales of Colorado splendors and torque plots in thrall.

Ever the doting Penelope when my not-quite-red-bearded hero returns from his perambulations, I gave him a plate piled with several month's leftover pizza, heeded his tales of Ball, kissed him hello and welcome home, and then sent him back on his way when the magic "bed time ritual" alarm clock went off in my head. 

The leftover pizza worked quite nicely to my relief. When Andrew was regularly spending track nights out, I stocked the freezer up with frozen meals/snacks so that he could make himself something when he came home. For a while, it had been these arguably toxic chimichangas (they fit the necessary caloric and price profile). Eventually, I decided to make a few freezer snacks from actual food, and to poach any additional leftovers people had to offer.

Pizza was especially good for that. One piece here or there adds up. Especially after the visits from my sister over the summer (more eating out, more pizza), I think I had the equivalent of an extra large pie from farraginous foiled slices stacked and smooshed into Andrew's freezer bucket. No more. Now the little freezer bucket is a mix of homemade freezer burritos, one or two slices of pizza, and some quinoa lasagna squares. Let the gradual accretion commence anew. I shall purge the freezer after I've purged the fridge! Clearly, I'm ketted up on the pre-travel purge ecstasy. Let the games begin!

Despite my resolution to relax and do nothing yesterday, I managed to be mobile and restless most of the day. In the morning I went into work and tidied up a little bit. Then I went shopping for last minute foods stuffs. Mostly I bought a heap of dairy (which I'm not allowed to open before the trip, but which will be appreciated on my return) and some eggs. I also bought an additional array of bars.

 I wrote both of my banks via secured message servers and was at least pointed to the proper place to put a travel notification up on one of my cards. I measured out some milk for freezing. I measured out some shredded wheat into little ziplocs for travel (i.e. crushing in my bag)... 

I started putting things into my bag. Actually, two bags. I'm starting to fill two bags! Thus far I have a small (very strange) convenience stores' worth of food stuffs, a lot of underwear, some toiletries, a passport, and a couple of shirts. I'm pretty sure that will serve me well on my travels. No need for anything else at all! 

I made more hippie (hemp-flax-chia-parsley-cayenne and a lotta love) crackers. Given they took about two and a half hours instead of twenty to "dehydrate" in the oven (on the lowest setting with the door open), I am pretty sure they've lost their "raw" food super status. But they're crisp and crunchy and they'll store nicely for when I return. Besides, I had a lot of parsley left to use up! As an inevitable complement, I then chopped the remaining parsley with my remaining onions and peppers and froze the mix for future breakfasts.

 Unsated with these endeavors, I slow cooked the apples I'd picked up on last week's maunder about Bellingham (free from a neighborhood tree!) and mushed them into apple sauce. This is also now in the freezer, but only after I left them both out on the counter overnight.I'm sure that's perfectly fine... yeah... 

Eventually, for a very brief spell, I forced myself to rest on the sofa with a crossword and a Thirty Rock rerun. But the relaxation really didn't adhere. Definitely trip time. Today there's plenty more to rush through before tomorrow's grand reveal of "what crucial item of luggage did Adella still forget to pack??" And I'm sure there may even be some forced "down time" by me to celebrate Mr. (W)right's single day hiatus from air travel. He's in excellent practice form at this point. 

I'll sit when we're mid-Atlantic, apparently. Until then, let the puttering and spluttering continue unabated. 





His and Her Packing And Countdown completes for Prague

Mr. (W)right and I have slightly different styles when it comes to preparing for a trip. For instance, I was pretty gung-ho about planning for this trip about six months ago. I looked up our hotel on google maps, made a little list of things I wanted to see or do. And I flirted with the "fun" idea of buying some language tapes for us to listen to together on weekend mornings. 

 While "six months" to me is basically "tomorrow," "six months" is the year 3000 to Andrew. He was mostly content to reimburse me for his share of the tickets, put the event on the calendar, and go back to his latest bike project.

Eventually, I kind of gave up the planning bacchanalia, because it's not actually as much fun when it's just me, and we both let it lapse but for the odd reference. Well, ok I scheduled a date on our calendar a month ago for a weekend session of "Prague Planning!" in which we looked at our guide book, I read out all the things I'd decided I thought would be fun,  Andrew said "uh huh, sure," Andrew started reading the guide book intently to the point that I ended up wandering off to do household chores, and eventually we agreed to follow the iteneraries in the book and get cash at a bank in Prague

But we are down to the wire. Naturally both of us had to pack. And pack we did. Again, with slightly different methodologies. 

Last Week

Adella began to memorialize the list in her head in digital checklist form. This included brain storming what kind of foods she might be able to eat and which activities she might want (cross referenced with the hotel list of amenities). She downloaded the Prague weather app, experimented with various foodstuffs to see what would be portable, and started winding down projects at work. 

Andrew was caught up in the middle of a work explosion. He valiantly proclaimed that he would not give up his honeymoon. So instead he was sent out to Boulder, Colorado on Friday morning to return on Saturday. 

Last Wednesday - (date night)

Adella considered this the last normal evening together, since Andrew would have to pack for Boulder the next evening. While she did have to work, she spent her lunch hour hunting down a particular kind of protein bar to replace the ones she usually makes, but which are too perishable to bring in her luggage. She purchased a back up electricity converter, and several other items. And the packing stage was officially camped on the dining room table. She spent the early afternoon chopping up vegetables, and figuring out how to game the kitchen so that all the perishables were used up exactly before departure. She was freshish and ready for date night.

Andrew  missed the weekend, so he had the day off. He went biking on Tiger Mountain for five hours and returned looking salty, ecstatic and eviscerated exactly at date night o'clock. 

Thursday

Adella updated her checklist of items. Rechecked the internet several times for news of any volcanic explosions, assimilated her various prescription protocols, and made a few freezer meals for the return. Rechecked the map in Prague and determined that upon arrival, they would check in, exchange money, and visit the hypermarket. 

Andrew went to work, came home for dinner a bit late and full of stories about the latest work horrors, and started packing for Boulder at roughly... bedtime. He left at 3:30 a.m. 

Friday 

Adella continued memorializing her checklist and checking volcano news. Staged underwear, socks, shirts, and travel toiletries, with the rest of her pre-packing table pile. With a note for which prescriptions and pills would come along. Made a freezer meal for the return. And gathered her books for the trip. 

Andrew got treated to a huge burrito, rented a car, checked into his hotel in Boulder, worked for a while, then treated himself to Thai food. 

Saturday

Adella declared that this was the day for relaxing. Subsequently, she discovered she was completely incapable of doing so. After checking in one last time at work to clean up after Friday's madhouse, she did several additional rounds of shopping for travel and for the return home. Contacted her banks about her credit cards. Read a number of travel tips sites and printed out relevant tips. Listened to a few free language demos just enough to at least be able to say "excuse me" "do you speak English?" "I don't understand" semi-credibly while making apple sauce. Portioned out the milk she bought into a return week's worth of frozen milk bottles. Made crackers that should come along for the trip. Portioned several food items into travel bags and began padding her bag with them. Ended the evening halfway packed and with an expanded checklist and got about ten minutes of actually sitting down on the couch before Andrew got home just near to bed time.

Andrew worked in Boulder, flew home, dropped off at work when he returned, and eventually got back around 8 p.m. to a large wealth of freezer pizza. Began unpacking from his Boulder trip at roughly... bedtime.

Sunday

Adella discussed bag options and decided to switch her larger back for a checked bag. Packed several tons of perishable foods between some clothing items. Washed the sheets, washed the towels, and did her laundry. Went on the weekend DINK run, allowing her to then pack her running clothes. Staged the prescriptions she didn't need before travel. Refilled her pill cases with vitamins. Photocopied all relevant travel documents and stashed copies in several locations. Stored relevant emergency phone numbers in a separate location. Downloaded several related apps to her phone that will work offline.  Desperately pondered over "layers" and tried to locate a "light but water proof" windbreaker that would fit in her baggage. Before kind of giving up and bringing the applicable layers she actually had. Went back out to locate the additional "just in case" emergency first aid items for various travel ailments. Located a water bottle. Checked-in for the flights (regrettably too late did she track down how to order a vegetarian meal, but at least she has roughly twenty tons of food travelling with her). Paced wildly. Printed out her prescription protocol to go with her pills. Reviewed her travel documents and packed them. Finished all packing and set to trying to clean the house up.

Andrew Woke up slowly with coffee and a tamarin-wife in his bed. He announced his grand plan that they would run on Tuesday and Saturday in Prague, but revised when Adella pointed out they were arriving in Prague on Tuesday afternoon.  Spent the interim space before his run on his bike forums. Went on a run. Went on a bike ride. Ate lunch. Updated his strava. Reviewed his prior race data to decide whether it would make sense to change gears on his mountain bike. Researched available options. Bought a new system.  Took a shower. Started his laundry. Caught up on his internetting and emails while Adella was out doing errands. Began doing his regular bills before getting locked out of his online banking system. Put a travel notice on his credit cards. Started calculating which credit card gave the best return for international usage considering various fees. Talked to his mom on the phone for a spell. Finished up some billing and started researching various rates for international roaming data/talk. Was interrupted by dinner. Returned to sign up for international data. Folded his laundry. And at roughly 7:30 began packing. By roughly 7:45 he was done packing.

Just guess which one of us will end up without something You know it's gonna be me. 

And Monday Adella has been up and obsessing over how the time difference will impact her various prescriptions an how she'll manage those on the plane. She's also already started trying to clean up the house, pack food for the trip down to Seatac, and recheck her list several times as she just knows she's missing something. In a few minutes she's going to wake up the loris-beast and rush them through breakfast so she'll have time to pack up her computer, do an actual tidy, pack up her lunch (Andrew was in favor of just eating at the airport so he doesn't get one), take out the trash and compost. Then give her mom back up copies of documents, print out iteneraries, and give her instructions on how to empty the recycling/trash/compost for the house. 

And Andrew will get up, throw the remaining items of luggage in his bag and probably try to unlock his bank account. 

Again, guess which one of us is going to have totally forgotten something huge! Like my head. That will probably end up on the kitchen counter. 

Ah well. Exciting days ahead!!! Whoooooooo!

We're almost off. Vroom Vroom!

No comments: