Thursday, November 29, 2012

Living in a PST World and I am a DST-ial Gal

Editors (ha yeah you've seen all my egregious typos, you think I really have an editor??): I've decided to started cross posting between my blog and G+ morning entries, when the posts get longer than a paragraph or two

Never sure which will better archive my trifles in the optimal fashions for future mortification and hindsighted contemplation, so I thought I'd hit all the bases. The major difference will be that I will continue to include my daily #sockwars pictures on the G+ posts and my blog will still be the sole source for longer posts and anything interlined with pix and graphics. 

I am starting to believe that I am just living on East Coast time. It's not that I'm an early bird (caw caw chirp! I only eat vegan gummy worms thanks much), it's just that I live in solidarity with my friends on the more bellicose front of briny deep. As I've nattered on about before, it's inconvenient for a dancer to have a bed time that starts just ten minutes after the earlier evening events begin. And certainly with my more PST fella, who likes to fall asleep cuddling with me (and maybe wake me up in the middle of the night, tell me something sweet and romantic while I'm totally dazed, then pass out again, having stolen all the covers and then thrown them on the ground, forgetting he has ever done so by morning) it can lead to some serious sleep deprivation over time to continue popping up at 5 a.m. already atwitter with the possibilities of new day.

 However, living on EST in a PST world has its advantages. During the winter we get maybe two or three hours of sunlight smack dab in the middle of the workday. When you get into work it's pitch. When you leave work, it's gloom. It's all fairly depressing. I have a lightbox, and I keep it at work. If I use it in the latter part of the day, my sleep gets messed up, so I use it in the mornings. This means, I come in when it's dark, switch on the rectangular solar flare, pop on the shades (not really... I only wear my sunglasses at night), and pop on the ol' treadmill desk and let dawn do its thing. By about 3:30 or 4:00, the sun is setting, but so is my work day. Although extenuating circumstances often leave my days meandering into the wee hours of 5:00 p.m. (gasp!), because I get in so gosh darned early, I get to leave early and it keeps me moderately sane in this bleakest of holiday months. 

Also means that maybe I walk into work in the witching hour remarkable for its changing of the guard between lingering drunks and loping runners (Types A and types D collide for the first time in years!). Usually easy to distinguish the two groups - the drunks may be yellings, and the lopers probably are wearing head lamps. At 5:30 a.m., downtown seems like an abandoned movie set. There's a certain sense that I have blundered past the fourth wall of my life and caught a glimpse of the little stage hands scurrying past me to paint the town tangible by dawn's first light. I rather enjoy it as much as that extra hour of time near the end of the day, when I am free and businesses are still open. 

No comments: