Saturday, March 17, 2012

A pre-milonga dj-update: Irish Edition

Oh The joys of cloud computing (other than clouds being somewhat damp and cold over all). I dj off of my old early-law-school laptop. I stopped using it as a computer early in my lawschool career, so as to avoid horrible back problems resulting from lugging the damned thing around from classroom to classroom. Since then, I've used my netbook for most portable computing (portable computing of course includes any kind of use at home, because sometimes I just suddenly need to change between the bed and the living room and the kitchen at a moment's notice), and my work computer for everything else. I keep my music backed up religiously on my google and amazon clouds, and a portable harddrive that gets lost more often than any other item I own, except usb cables and chargers for my camera. The lion's share (ROOOOOOAR... yes, lions love eclectic mixes of tango/modern/dance/classical/blues/jazz/flamenco/um/wow/I/have/quite/the/assortment/on/my/computer) is on my stereo/laptop, but of course I frequently purchase music that I hear while using other computers. As an aside, I think my minimal exposure to computer programming has done horrible, horrible things to my use of the English language. I am the Shakespeare of word creation through dashes, slashes and other violent punctuation marks! Yes, I am a language-bully!

Oh right, music. So, I often hear a song I like on pandora, or get a wild hare to find a particular song during my lunch break... or maybe I hear something playing in a tv show, at the ballet, or on a commercial that I hunt down on my work computer or netbook. And I have a compulsion, so I add quite a lot of songs. These, of course, all upload to my cloud. I keep a loose playlist saved on both clouds of music that I intend to use at a given milonga (strike that, after accepting I don't like following rigid requirements of tango etiquette that would officially qualify dances as milongas, I will call all events tango-raves - I'd go with the standard "practica" but I don't really like to practice and raves sound like they'd have more glowing things involved).


And, because I am lazy so busy, I often don't get around to downloading these onto my actual media monkey playlist until the day of a mil... -er -  tango-rave. And since it is a St. Patrick's Day!! party, I don't just need to download those celtic harp versions of Libertango and Verano Porteno, but also some kind of appropriately annoying contrasting Irish music to cut for cortinas. This is a necessity. And apparently I own virtually no Irish music, except for some Loreena McKennitt songs that I'm already using as alt tangos (yeah, yeah, Tango for Evora is almost too cliche, but people like it and it works with some tandas that I'm setting up). Of course, since I've been at my dad's house all week, which does not have wireless, none of my home computers have had access to the internet and none of them have been able to acquire their Microsoft security-update-booster shots. They're making up for this now. And so, stereo-laptop internet connection is moving at the speed of highly intoxicated molasses mucking through mud. And Media Monkey now wants to me to download an update that will also likely take an ice age to sort out, but may (or may not) fix some problems inherent in the software. My iTunes induced PTSD makes me fairly certain that any update will do horrible things to my music collection and possibly cause incidental brain damage. I am hoping this is not the case, but many years of iAbuse has taken its toll. Be gentle, Media Monkey!

So, tango crowds, you'll be passing out to a breathy and contemplative Enya between tandas, since this is going to take about an aeon and it's probably more important to have - oh I don't know - music for the dancing instead of the "get of the floor"-ing. Now people will stop dancing and pass out on the floor. Too bad, I was hoping to find "I'll always be Irish" from the classic Disney film, The Happiest MIllionaire. Maybe I'll still have time. 








No comments: