Friday, April 29, 2011

...wait 2??? HOLY WHAT THE WHAT??

Yes, we've transitioned from "am I ever going to make it, oh yes we're getting through..." to "oh crap, I have soooo much to do and how long is left??" Apparently condensed quarters just sidestep those doldrum weeks between early-quarter-jitters and end-quarter-panic, which may not be a terrible thing, since it means that there hasn't been that much time to fall behind through the brief one or two day moments of apathy. Of course, there was also little opportunity to get ahead and I'm definitely not ahead despite all attempts. I'm smack dab where I should be, which is a little scary given how exponentially fast things are getting. I have about two weeks of paper left to write (er, revise - I'm done with the meat of it but need to do a fair amount of editing) and about two weeks of outlines to catch up with, so no margin for any lapse of attention or vigilance.

While I've sidestepped too much doldrummy glumness, this is not to say I'm not increasingly exasperated at the little things, like when our class has a fifteen minute conversational square dance (oh do break out our linguistic gingham skirts) involving the students and teachers apparently speaking different languages. 

This is a little more understandable in, say, Med Products Liability where this is actually the case (Korean and English apparently are not like Spanish and Portuguese). It's slightly more vexing in, say, Secured Transactions, where both are speaking pretty clear English from my perspective, but apparently not to each other. It's kind of funny, but I'm, well, a little short with the world right now, as any people who've been exposed to me recently can attest to. Honestly, I find it best at these times to just lock myself away because otherwise I'm so exhausted trying to keep myself from eating faces and moderating the sheerly undeserved snark lurking behind my gentle facade, that interactions take more out of me than two hours of sprinting. I will say that I guess it's kind of heartening to see other students feel more lost, incorrect, and just plain out to sea than I feel. Sick, but that's the reality of school.




On the brighter side, Civ Pro II remains competent and interesting, and my teacher arrived yesterday in this smashingly collared peridot jacket with a felt flower lapel constructed of myriad hues of greens and a little blue. I think I'm in love.

In mediationland... well, stick a fork in me, I'm done. Not really, but I'm just so close to done and I have so much other work to do, and as aforementioned not unleashing my caustic side is kind of exhausting right now. It's all I can do to be polite and respectful to the delightful hoi polloi and save my sprewing swears - ACCURSED MOUNTEBANK!! - for after the phone is politely returned to its cradle. I'm sure my clinic neighbors adore me. Naw, I exaggerate, but well, if people ever took me literally... kind of a funny image, but I would suggest refilling your paxil before attempting to do so.

We are also being urged via a fairly aggressive email campaign to clean the clinic area because the ABA is visiting on Monday and Tuesday (The lawyers are coming! The lawyers are coming!). I'm a little confused why a clean office space is a hugely important thing, since I have almost never seen a attorney's work-space look clean ever and one would frankly terrify me. 

I am desperately attempting to tend to the office "plant" that somebody other than me left to die in our clinic space. It is, I'm afraid, a lost cause. I am the plant-slayer!! But seriously, it's just cruel to keep a plant back in our lair, far from sunlight and running water. We barely survive in there.

The theme is GRAY
Not gray enough for this space!

No comments: