Friday, March 18, 2011

Stumbling On... Iron Brain Part II

(... hey, that's so apropos to the "traspie" part of my blog name... and like, like um I already alluded to the fact that this is an endurance race first and foremost so there's that marathoning reference and... OMG continuity!!)

The real reason to endure to Friday finals: free coffee. Even the law school denizens feel guilty about scheduling a final on the final slot of finals finality. Not too sorry. Just sorry enough to leave an urn unattended and let us know we won't be denied access to the bar for partaking. In my opinion, the free coffee should start on Wednesday and by Friday, there should be little tents in the finals rooms replete with cookies, gatorade, medics, and cleverly sloganed t-shirts. And when we are released from the final final, I think one free drink per student is exceedingly fair. But I'd take some chocolate! Preferably, if you have it:


My Dad got some for Christmas and being a Milk Chocolate Hershey's man, himself, passed it along to me. 

I'll admit it, my reserves of caring are near-well spent. Thank goodness for the coffee - they start with the same letter so they must be the same thing. Tuesday, I was a twitter with anticipation and adrenaline. Yesterday, I was restless up until an hour before the test and then I was a little more on focus and twitchy. 

Today, well, I'm at school.

 I've horded my coffee just in case they run out and I'm playing around on the internet in the clinic space. My grandest gesture was complementing my Saint Patrick's day attire yesterday with kind of a more pink/gender-conformity extravaganza-ing disaster wardrobe. I have bright pink shirt that says "What Happens on the Dance Floor Stays on the Dance Floor," which is as close as I have to a sexual harassment themed shirt. Pink glitter eyeshadow. Sparkly pink ring. Big floppy earrings that would violate most dress codes. My outline is also strewn with clipped out pictures of members of protected classes and other representations of material, defendants, etc. contained in the outline! Yeah, the art project stage of finals week is always kind of the last push before "hey, I showed up didn't I?" But there's just a point where further studying would be fruitless and likely rot any fruiting knowledge already ripening.

Yesterday I was quite proud of my ensemble. I was hoping to capture some of the luck of the Irish, but then thinking on it, the Irish really aren't all that lucky historically, so this may have been misguided.  It involved three different shades of green tops (well, one bra that peeks out of most shirts like an undershirt, one technicolor shamrock tank top, and a moss green sweater coat), enormous green star earrings, orange nails (technically being Irish Protestant in heritage, I should have worn more orange, but green looks so much better on me), green eyeshadow and for good measure, I threw a fair amount of green glitter from my craft kit all over myself. I shed sparkly blarney every where I went!

Hopefully a little bit of wisdom about wills and estates as well, but yeesh lord knows with that test. It was just as challenging as promised - with FIVE questions. I had said previously that she likes trick questions, but it's more like she likes twist questions. The answer always has a moment ... one of those aha oh wow weird(!!!) kind of conclusions that you hope to get to after diagramming all the relationships and going through all these steps and realizing that actually the end result is exactly the same as it would have been had X not happened, but only through a series of complicated and interwoven interactions of a variety of doctrines in operation. Taking that test was like being in an Agatha Christie novel - possibly as glib and tongue in cheek as well.Some professors clearly see their tests as a chance to be the artistic geniuses that they shied away from on career day, because they lacked the sheer audacity and delusion to pursue their true dreams. And we did get a good Charlie Sheen reference in the last one.And a holographic will, which always sounds so much cooler in name than it turns out to be. I have always pictured something more like this:

than this:

but it's not dated!

Anyways, I suspect that if every one "did well" on the White Collar Crime test, every one "did not great" on this test, because this was clearly in the drop-students-in-a-desert-and-measure-the-winner-by-who-dies-closest-to-the-water model of law school exams. And when it's like that, well, it's entirely and absolutely based on where every one else died... information I don't necessarily know, so who can say how I did. Hey, in the words of somebody with a test on Friday before her free coffee, I showed up.

I feel a little like kicking the back of Law School's seat and whining "Are we THERE YET??????" But I feel that this finals week plus the upcoming finals in May are all about building callouses for the final Bar extravaganza. In a sense, I think it will be better, because there will be no breaks. These lulls - mornings, even days - between the full test have actually contributed little other than a more creative wardrobe and making me more dreary and tired than I think I would be if I'd had all three back to back. I could be completely wrong about that, but I'm remaining optimistic that this shall be the case. I really don't need to repeat the bar exam more than once.

Once these finals things are done, I can have my pittance of a break (while a majority of my early graduating 3L colleagues can have their little parties about being DONE!!!, I will remain in school mode and we'll see who has the last laugh once bar prep starts in on their asses after a brief exposure to having a life HA I say to them HA! Because they are gonna feel it a lot more than I am), during which I shall pore over my bar application and recall every ticket I've ever received in lurid detail (two inches from the curb or was it three??) before writing them a check for just over my monthly budget and sitting back and waiting. If I'm really on the ball, I may do my taxes too.

No comments: