Thursday, October 28, 2010

So if I were rich and could afford an ailing and unsuccessful business...

Well, let's start again and get to that part:

I'm old now. We accept this. I do crossword puzzles for fun and see five a.m. on the other side of sleep than I may be accustomed to from my younger years. I also eat at County Buffet and would willingly call an outing there at 4:30 p.m. "dinner". Damnit, fetch me my walker and let's move on.

Alternately, I'm  just one step closer to that transformation into a Crate and Barrel Yuppie Soccer-Mom. Because when I do get up that early, I totally do some kind of dance based workout or... yoga/pilates fusion!  Oh yes. I even have a cute sportsbra, funny toning shoes and a yoga mat. I'm about to be gainfully employed as a "professional" (in the wear-a-suit form of the word and less in the walk-the-water-fronts sort of way although some have confused the two professions when it involves lawyering)

 And I am of an age (I'm estimating "an age" in this case starts around 27 for most in my cadre, probably due to the fact that the official consensus is that adulthood for our generation starts at 30) where woman run face first into those biological clocks they thought they'd lost on that road trip to the Grand Canyon when they buried their barbie doll at the campsite and cried all the way home because Barbie was all gone... Nope, it wasn't lost after all! Or it's a little lost: It's lost in the random recesses of their purses, so they can hear it but cannot find it to turn it off and... and... and it's making kind of annoying beeping noises and vibrating as well so it's making their change and keys rattle around... And people are starting to turn around and give dirty looks. Ok, maybe not, but it is fascinating to see all of these women who once suppressed a gag reflex in the face of little infants start cooing at these same infants (ok, not really, since I'm assured the infants grow up in the intervening years and it's probably a member of a new crop of infants)...


Um, wait what was I saying? I'm old after all, so I don't always keep track of my conversations.

But see, whatever thing I'm becoming that would have utterly disgusted and terrified my twenty year old self: I willingly wake up at five, put on some clothes and dance my butt off. Then I'm up for far too long milling about the house, because I've over-estimated the time it takes me to eat and/or shower. And it's not doing great things for my actual dance life . I haven't been getting out much these days because I tend to go to bed approximately an hour before people start to get dressed for these lovely little dances...(that and the broke-ness, but that should fade once I'm either a full-fledged yuppie or on Social Security)

So new fantasy to have a little coffee that offers at least one morning of scones, coffee, eggs and true early-bird tango:


They do some fantastic ganchos

 A take on the whole tango cafe thing, except you know, breakfast cafe. And yes, this might be somewhat inspired by my experiences at La Viruta where about 6 a.m. they'd start carting in the medialunas and coffee instead of beer and nachos or whatever wholly ill advised things people were ingesting up until then. Because if I lived somewhere with a later-night dance scene, you know I'd wake up at five and find the nearest all night milonga for a quick pick me up before work. There's the nice thing - early birds and night owls could commune for an hour or two. I'm guessing it would be low key. Kind of a practica over anything formal.
If Seattle were a slightly later night community, it actually might be kind of a cool idea. People just finishing up one milonga and wanting to grab a coffee and breakfast before crashing mixing with those just starting the day - a changing of the guard. But it's kind of a middle of the road community, with things wrapping up "early" in tango terms. Just not early enough. I could actually see this working for the blues community, come to think of it. They do seem to have enough all night parties, blues bombing and after dancing mass breakfasts... of course they're also fairly low income student types. Hmmm...

But regardless, if people will get out of bed for tangolates, then why not tango! Ok, I do sort of know the answer to that, but mostly in a "that's just the way it's always been" kind of fashion. And perhaps it's a nice way of branching out - incorporating all us prematurely aged people and future soccer moms. Just a word of advice, if you come, don't bring your children and leave them attended. Those future soccer moms really do have some biological clock issues going on and it might be too hard to resist running off with their new adopted babies!

No comments: