Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Design senlessibilities

My office at the prosecutor's office (yes, I am a deputy at the department of redundancy department) is one of the most oppressively maddeningly BLANK places I've ever worked. I have no window, instead having a wonderful sculptural element of many piled up file boxes in the corner where there may have been a window in a superior office. I do have dirty white walls, which glow with a dingy intensity under my overbearing flourescent lights. And for good measure, my office seems to have an echo-chamber quality that makes all office sounds resonate within my chambers. So fun when the guy two offices down has the need to clear his throat every two  minutes. If I were to undergo my own Divine Comedy, this would well be my version of purgatory. 


my "window" sculpture

As I find this madness is pummelling my productivity, I am attempting to remedy the situation by bringing in whatever knick knack and color-splash whatever I can find. It turns out that I didn't bring a lot of pictures or knick knacks to my already well furnished apartment. So currently I have a framed picture of these bizarre creatures that my friend Joel from Hot Mama's drew for me as a going away gift  (as it would turn out, in this digital age, I have no hard copies of photos of loved ones to properly frame!), two novelty sized rubber duckies that I recieved during a "volunteer recognition" event at the ADR division this summer, a photo of me, my mom and my sister from when we were little, and four birthday cards (most from different years than this one).

The progress so far:



two of these cards are from my aunties for various birthdays,
one is from a work colleague at PeaceHealth years back
and one is from my mom from this year.
The phone came with the office


the little duck glows in the dark, so when the power save
motion detectors cause me to randomly be encased in darkness, I can now see!
While I intend to replace the drawing with a photo,
 I do find it amusing that the frame goes on about "friendship"
which I feel is quite appropriate for the odd little drawing
 I have also brought in my netbook, which connects via wireless to the internet and broadcasts (very quietly) one of multiple classical music radio stations in the area. I figure this is simultaneously work appropriate and far less maddening than the chorus of the coughing co-worker (which I can still hear, but hey).
I will be spending the evening at Walgreen's finding my own little version of the baby kitty "hanging in there" from a tree branch, etc. Ok, actually I'll be finding my ex-co-intern to get some money I earned back in August subbing for him at the clerk's office and then getting some stupid work study forms so I can work AND get paid at the mediation clinic, but after that...

No comments: