Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Oh Boy! I'm number 6-10! I'm number 6-10!

Dear UW Law School,

Thank you for your unsolicited email notification that I have been ranked in the top ten percent of my class. It was quite edifying to realize that despite all preventative measures, I *do* have at least a side of myself that is, in fact, a total case-book-munching-law-school tool. The fleeting smirk of self-aggrandizement at feeling innately *better* than 90% of my class (most of whom will, no doubt, through an alien combination of sheer ambition, people skills, and eagerness for self-debasement of the networking variety, find far more success in their future legal careers - I will still cherish the letter that I may request from academic services, as I ralley for promotion to manager of the local Barnes and Nobles, I assure you) was nice. Far better of course was the sense of supreme disappointment at having fallen short of the top five that would have merited an individual ranking. Clearly, I am a failure and must now return to the basement from which I sprung until I am number 2 and appropriate pissed off about this.Considering that the school does not even bother ranking the lower 67% (I guess 33 just seemed like such a pretty number), I really appreciate your time. I'm particularly curious, as notifications independent of htis informed students in advance of the assignment of rankings to come, how those who have not recieved a ranking are appreciating this momentous occasion. It is, as always, a pleasure to hear from you and I look forward to hearing more about On Campus Interviewing and Clerkship events that you seem to think I must attend on pain of (career) death.

Deepest Love and Law,

A

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Congrats Adella! thats still a great accomplishment and I am sure you wont be working at B&N unless you just WANT to in the future silly girl